1. Drink a nice cold glass of water and for a little flavor add a splash of mint and lemon (you know you want to)
We love starting our day with a cold glass of water. If you didn’t know, you should, your body works extra hard to build up its core temperature after consuming something cold. Though room temperature water has its perks. Ice water is a great way to boost your daily metabolism.
2. Eat a nourishing well balanced breakfast, because food matters. Homemade smoothies are a great option or our personal favorite Coconut +Kiwi Chia popsicles
Enjoy your breakfast this morning. If you’re daily work routine is anything like ours this may be the only day you get to take your time with breakfast. You could even grab the #MadeinDC papers, a good book or scroll through our recipes for some daily inspiration.
3. Namaste, now move your body (we’re feeling like Yogi bears today):
Taking a yoga class helps to clear our heads of all the previous or upcoming week blues. An alternative option could be a nature hike (nature is one of our biggest inspiration and favorite places to relax).
On the way home from the yoga class or nature walk stop by your local farmer’s market and pick up some finely grained coffee beans because we’ve got the perfect recipe that combines the chocolatey goodness of hot cocoa and coffee.
We usually stop by a local farmer’s market to pick up some fresh fruits and veggies for our menu the upcoming week. But today, coffee beans were on our list as well.
4. Finally, settle into that place you call home and make a strong cup of joe with an Heirloom twist to keep the mood going.
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large scoop of coconut gelato ice cream
- 6 ounces of strong coffee
Brew your daily craving of coffee (we opted to brew our batch in a fresh press- this makes the coffee what we like call rich, very strong coffee- coffee that’s piping hot and stays hot through your final sip.)
In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients together (if the smell of these flavors mixed together doesn’t wake you up, then, we don’t know what will)
Now, pour the freshly brewed coffee in a large mug and stir in the cocoa mix until it’s melted and smooth. After this we decided we wanted to add a little cream to the mix. The spices were almost perfect but, we felt they needed a splash of sweet goodness. We chose to add a scoop of Coconut gelato (and wow, did it make all the difference).
The combination of the chocolate, rich coffee, spices and coconut gelato made the exact taste we were craving this morning.
All and all, let’s just say it was so delicious that we made a large batch of this mix, to ensure that it lasts all week.
We hope our Sunday morning ritual helps get you ready to conquer this week. We’re ready, are you?
Stay tuned, there’s plenty more to come.